Congratulations to Ben Underwood for passing his Fundaments of Engineering (FE) exam in May 2019. The KSS Technical Services – Engineering group was fortunate to add Ben to the team in August 2018. Ben graduated from West Virginia University, also in August 2018, with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.
Ben has made great contributions to the engineering group in a short amount of time, including the implementation of 3D modeling of the gates & chutes used in our train loadouts. By designing these models in 3D, errors in the traditional 2D designs are eliminated, thus reducing our engineering costs as well as fabrication costs.
While in school, Ben maintained a 3.9/4.0 GPA while working in co-op for Toyota as a production engineer. He was also on the Mechanical Engineering Team at WVU for the EcoCAR3 project where he designed engine parts, helping turn a2016 Camaro into a hybrid vehicle. Ben has a few other accomplishments, including:
• National Academy of Engineers Grand Challenge Scholar
• Various scholarships: Leadership, Statler Research, Statler Academic & WV STEM
• WVU Mortar Board Honorary Member
• Tau Beta Pi Honors Engineering Honor Society
• Boy Scouts of America – Eagle Scout Recipient
• Valedictorian of his high school class
• Co-founder and Head Facilitator of the National Academy of Engineers Grand Challenge Scholars Program at WVU
• Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering Student Ambassador
• WVU Honors College Member
An eventful summer for Ben, he was also married to Nicole in August 2018. The newlyweds reside in Nitro, WV, with their dog, Ellie. Nicole is a structural engineer for Michael Baker International where she evaluates and designs various type of bridges throughout the state of West Virginia.